Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 11:13 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 11:13
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- St. Matthew writing
- This miniature, which was originally from a book of hours and began the Gospel Lesson of Matthew, was painted by a follower of Jean Bourdichon, a French illuminator active in Tours at the end of the fifteenth century. Bourdichon, who was the court painter to a succession of several kings of France, led one of the most prolific workshops in France at this time. The artist who painted this leaf and two others in the Free Library from the same manuscript (Lewis E M 11:12 and 14) may have been one of his assistants or students.
- This cutting has been dated to ca. 1500.
Extent97 x 130 mm
- 15th century
- 16th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:13: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:13: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.