Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 11:16 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 11:16
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Jacobs Dream
- This miniature precedes Terce of the Hours of the Virgin, the beginning of which can be found on the reverse. The choice of the Old Testament story of Jacob's Dream is unusual. In the Middle Ages, though, the steps of the ladder stood for the virtues. The original manuscript was made for a member of the aristocratic Dinteville family from Burgundy whose coat of arms appears on the reverse in an initial.
- This image shows the reverse of a full-page miniature. The text begins Terce of the Hours of the Virgin.
Extent102 x 145 mm
- 16th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:16: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:16: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.