Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 16:10 Undetermined
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 16:10
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial A
- This initial is a fine example of Romanesque initial decoration. The intricate interlaced pattern of the white vine-scroll harbors a male figure in the lower compartment climbing up the tendrils of the stylized vines toward a lion in the upper compartment grazing, as it were, on the stylized foliage. The head of a beast at the top of the letter threatens to swallow the whole composition. Such play within the decorative spaces of a manuscript and the blending of abstract design and natural forms are holdovers from pre-Christian ornamental traditions, such as those practiced by the Celts.
- This cutting has been dated to ca. 1130.
Extent109 x 148 mm
- 11th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 16:10: Undetermined are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 16:10: Undetermined. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.