Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 18:4 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 18:4
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Ecce Homo
- The decoration on this leaf was left unfinished with only the gold applied to the underdrawing of the miniature and the decorated initial and border. Yet, its incomplete state allows us to see the steps of illumination midway through the process. After a leaf was ruled to determine the number of lines of text and decoration, the scribe wrote in the text leaving the areas of decoration blank. The leaf was then handed over to an illuminator who would first draw in the outlines of the decoration with a stylus or a lead stick, similar to a pencil. Then, the gold leaf was added before the decoration was painted in with various colors. For an unknown reason, our illuminator abandoned his work after adding the gold leaf, leaving the underdrawing exposed. This miniature marks the beginning of Terce of the Hours of the Cross.
- This cutting has been dated to ca. 1440.
Extent108 x 150 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 18:4: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 18:4: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.