Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 18:9 Bible, Matthew
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 18:9
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial D with an Angel, symbolizing the Evangelist Matthew
- This leaf contains a Dutch translation of the first chapters of the Gospel of Matthew. Although the medieval Catholic Church did not look favorably on vernacular translations of Scripture, such translations were occasionally made in order to make Scripture more easily available to a wider audience. The Dutch translation that appears on this leaf is the work of Johannes Scutken (d. 1423), a follower of a popular religious movement in the Netherlands known as the Devotio Moderna, or 'Modern Devotion.' The movement emphasized devotion to the life and humanity of Christ and aimed to enhance the spiritual lives of common people, partly through making religious texts written in Latin available to readers who did not have knowledge of Latin.
Extent175 x 248 mm
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 18:9: Bible, Matthew are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 18:9: Bible, Matthew. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.