Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 25:1 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 25:1
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial I with a saint, possibly St. John the Evangelist
- Sano di Pietro (1405-1481), the illuminator of this initial, was one of the most prolific artists working in Siena during the fifteenth century. Many of Sano's commissions came from religious communities, for whom he produced not only illuminated manuscripts but also a number of altarpieces. The youthful features of this saint suggest that this is St. John the Evangelist, who, like other the other apostles, is normally depicted in bare feet. Closer inspection of saint's feet bears out this identification: the orange stockings covering the saint's feet are a later addition. His feet can be seen through the thinly applied orange paint. This cutting belongs to a group of other cuttings in the Free Library from the same choir book or at least the same set of choir books. These are: Lewis E M 22:7-16, E M 22:18-21, E M 23:1-6, E M 25:1-3, and E M 76:29a. Although there is scant textual evidence to determine the type of choir book from which these cuttings were taken, similarities in the style of decoration, the color palette, and dimensions in the height of the staves on the reverse allow them to be grouped together.
- This cutting has been dated to ca. 1470.
Extent75 x 259 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:1: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:1: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.