Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 25:19 Gradual
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 25:19
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial S with the Ordination of a priest
- This initial probably begins the Introit for the Common of One Confessor, 'Sacerdotes tui domine in duant justitiam ...' (Let thy priests go clad in the vesture of innocence), although there is not enough textual evidence to confirm this. The scene represented in the initial is the investiture of a new priest with the stole and chasuble (the vestments a priest wears during Mass), an event that occurs during the ordination of new priests. Although the execution of the scene in the initial is somewhat awkward, it shows the new priest bowing before the bishop in order to receive the vestments. The third figure, a priest, assists the bishop in pulling the vestments over the head of the new priest.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1300.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an initial from a gradual.
Extent75 x 80 mm
- 13th century
- 14th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:19: Gradual are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:19: Gradual. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.