Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 25:28 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 25:28
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial D with St. Helena observing the erection of the True Cross, from the Legend of the True Cross
- This initial once began a chant used in the celebration of the feast of the Invention of the True Cross (May 3). The True Cross is the name for the cross upon which, according to Christian tradition, Jesus was crucified. According to medieval legend, the True Cross was found by St. Helena, the mother of the first Christian emperor of Rome, Constantine the Great (272 AD - 337 A.D.). The True Cross was believed to have been made from the wood of the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden. This initial has been attributed to the Venetian illuminator Cristoforo Cortese, active from ca. 1399 to before 1445, when a document refers to him as already dead. The cutting is from the same manuscript as Lewis E M 25:27. Several other leaves in the Free Library have also been attributed to Cortese.
- This is the reverse of a cutting with an historiated intial from a choir book.
Extent112 x 94 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:28: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:28: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.