Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 27:16 Gradual
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 27:16
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial A with Two Benedictine monks beside King David in prayer
- This initial begins the Introit for the First Sunday in Advent, 'Ad te levavi animam meam ...' (All my heart goes out to thee). The words of the Introit are from Psalm 24:1-3. In the Middle Ages, David was believed to have composed the psalms, and he was thus often found in psalm illustration. In this initial, he is joined by two Benedictine monks in prayer.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a gradual.
Extent118 x 150 mm
- 16th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:16: Gradual are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:16: Gradual. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.