Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 27:18 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 27:18
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial A with St. Gregory the Great receiving divine inspiration from the Holy Spirit, represented as a dove
- Since no text is visible on this cutting (which has been pasted to decorative board), it is difficult to determine its original manuscript context. Its size suggests that it is from a large choir book. The cutting may have come from the same manuscript as Lewis E M 27:17. The illuminator of this initial is known as the Olivetan Master, called by this name because of a signature found in an illuminated initial from Milan, dated 1439 (now in The Cini Foundation in Venice) that describes him as a brother of the Order of Monteoliveto.
- This cutting has been dated to ca. 1430s to 1440s.
Extent102 x 106 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:18: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:18: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.