Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 27:24 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 27:24
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial C with God enthroned
- No text survives on this cutting to permit the identification of the text of this initial, which has been pasted to decorative cardboard. Its size suggests that it belonged in a large choir book. The cutting may have come from the same manuscript as Lewis E M 27:25, which is similar in size and illuminated at least in part by the same hand. The illuminator worked under the influence of an anonymous master known today as the Olivetan Master, who is called by this name because of a signature found in an illuminated initial from Milan, dated to 1439 (now belonging to The Cini Foundation, Venice). He describes himself as a brother of the Order of Monteoliveto, a monastic order formally recognized in 1344.
Extent118 x 116 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:24: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:24: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.