Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 28:19 Historiated initial D from a gradual, depicting the baptism of Christ
TitleHistoriated initial D from a gradual, depicting the baptism of Christ
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 28:19
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial D with the Baptism of Christ
- This initial begins the collect for the feast of the Birth of John the Baptist (June 24), 'Deus qui praesentem diem honorabilem nobis in beati Johannis ...' (God, who hast made this day illustrious in our eyes by the birth of the Blessed John). This cutting and several others in the Free Library's collections were illuminated by the so-called Master B. F., after the initials inscribed in another cutting by the same artist now in the Museo Diocesano in Lodi, Italy. Some scholars have argued that the initials stand for Francesco Binasco (also known as Francesco da Lonate), an illuminator who worked at the court of the Sforza, the ruling family of Milan in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a gradual.
Extent148 x 150 mm
- 16th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:19: Historiated initial D from a gradual, depicting the baptism of Christ are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:19: Historiated initial D from a gradual, depicting the baptism of Christ. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.