Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 28:20 Miniature from a choir book, depicting the Trinity
TitleMiniature from a choir book, depicting the Trinity
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 28:20
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Holy Trinity
- This cutting may have once formed the center of an initial O beginning the antiphon for first Vespers of Trinity Sunday, ' O beata et benedicta et gloriosa Trinitas, Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus ...' (O blessed and glorious Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost). This image of the Trinity in which God the Father presents his Son crucified under the wings of the dove of the Holy Spirit, is also known as the Mercy-Seat Trinity. It emphasizes in sentimental terms the paternal nature of God and the human suffering of the Son, following certain tendencies in late medieval devotion to focus on the human nature of Christ.
- Image shows the reverse of a cutting with a miniature from a choir book.
Extent105 x 128 mm
- 15th century
- 16th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:20: Miniature from a choir book, depicting the Trinity are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:20: Miniature from a choir book, depicting the Trinity. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.