Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 29:12a-b Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 29:12a-b
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial G
- Ornament in medieval and Renaissance manuscripts can be quite fanciful. In this initial, the head of a bird of prey, forming the end of the upper curve of the letter G, bears down with an open beak on the head of a man, forming the end of the lower curve, who glances fearfully up at his attacker. Such displays of imagination usually carried very little symbolism; rather, their purpose seems to have been to enliven the otherwise flat surface of the page.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with a decorated initial from a choir book.
- Border ornaments
- These cuttings can be dated to the 15th or 16th centuries.
- These cuttings contain ornament that would have decorated the borders of a manuscript leaf or formed part of the flourish of a decorated initial.
Extent91 x 88 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 29:12a-b: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 29:12a-b: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Lewis E M 29.12a front
7884_0000.tif (23.2 MB)
7884_0000_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
7884_0000_web.jpg (308.1 KB)
Lewis E M 29.12a reverse
7884_0001.tif (23.2 MB)
7884_0001_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
7884_0001_web.jpg (235.1 KB)