Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 31:13-14 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 31:13-14
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial G
- The text on this cutting was stenciled rather than written in, a technique that came into use after the invention of printing. Stenciling required less skill on the part of the scribe but retained to some degree the hand-produced feel of a manuscript book. In this case, a scribe has gone over the stenciled letters and inked lines to connect the separate parts of the rounded, stenciled letter forms. This can be seen especially in the letters 'o' and 'b'.
- Initial J
- A scribe has gone over the stenciled letters and inked lines to connect the separate parts of the rounded, stenciled letter forms. This can be seen especially in the letters 's,' 'a' and 'g'.
- These initials once formed part of the decorative program of a stenciled book, or in other words, a book in which the text (seen in this example on the reverse) was stenciled rather than written in. The decoration, however, was completed by hand.
- These cuttings can be dated to the 17th or 18th centuries.
Extent144 x 151 mm
- 17th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 31:13-14: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 31:13-14: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Lewis E M 31.13 front
7909_0000.tif (62.9 MB)
7909_0000_thumb.jpg (10.9 KB)
7909_0000_web.jpg (434.0 KB)
Lewis E M 31.13 reverse
7909_0001.tif (62.9 MB)
7909_0001_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
7909_0001_web.jpg (265.0 KB)
Lewis E M 31.14 front
7909_0002.tif (62.2 MB)
7909_0002_thumb.jpg (10.9 KB)
7909_0002_web.jpg (410.7 KB)