Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 31:15 Service book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 31:15
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial C
- The style of this initial is reminiscent of Italian initial decoration, especially in the northern regions. Certain elements in the execution of the initial suggest, however, that the artist was not Italian but perhaps Spanish or Portuguese. Artists and scribes in the Iberian Peninsula were heavily influenced by the luxury choir books that came out of Italy in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance. This influence can be seen in the Italianate forms common in Iberian decoration.
- This cutting can be dated to the 15th or 16th centuries.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with a decorated initial from a service book.
Extent138 x 101 mm
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 31:15: Service book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 31:15: Service book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.