Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 43:12 Initial S with St. Vincent Ferrer
TitleInitial S with St. Vincent Ferrer
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 43:12
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- This initial begins an unidentified chant used in the celebrations for the feast of St. Vincent Ferrer (April 5), a Dominican saint who died in 1419 and was canonized in 1458. The initial was illuminated by an artist within the circle of the Master of Petrarchs Triumphs, so-called from his work in a grand illuminated French manuscript of Petrarchs Triumphs done for Louis XII (r. 1499-1515). The work of this master and his followers is closely related to the workshop of Jean Pichore, an illuminator active in Paris at the beginning of the sixteenth century.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a choir book.
Extent176 x 180 mm
- 15th century
- Musical notation
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 43:12: Initial S with St. Vincent Ferrer are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 43:12: Initial S with St. Vincent Ferrer. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.