Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 44:12 Die Vierundzwanzig Alten oder Der goldene Thron (The Twenty-Four Elders or the Golden Throne)
TitleDie Vierundzwanzig Alten oder Der goldene Thron (The Twenty-Four Elders or the Golden Throne)
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 44:12
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- The Fifth Elder
- This miniature illustrates Otto von Passau's Twenty-Four Elders, a fourteenth-century treatise developed around the Book of Revelation 4:4, in which each of the elders discourses on an aspect of Christian life, such as Seeking God, Grace, and Penance. The Free Library's miniature depicts the fifth elder, who spoke on Conscience. The passage from Revelation describes the elders as wearing crowns of gold and white garments. The artist of this manuscript, however, dressed the elders in bright colors, as we can see in this miniature and in twelve sister leaves, which are housed in various European libraries.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1450.
Extent125 x 254 mm
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 44:12: Die Vierundzwanzig Alten oder Der goldene Thron (The Twenty-Four Elders or the Golden Throne) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 44:12: Die Vierundzwanzig Alten oder Der goldene Thron (The Twenty-Four Elders or the Golden Throne). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.