Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 44:24 Bible
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 44:24
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial V with the Martyrdom of Isaiah
- This initial begins Isaiah 1:1, 'Visio Isaiae, filii Amos, quam vidit super Judam et Jerusalem ...' (The vision of Isaiah the son of Amos, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem). According to medieval legend, Isaiah was martyred by being sawn in half. This fragment from a twelfth-century Bible was cut up during the Middle Ages and used to bind a later manuscript or early printed book.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1180.
Extent343 x 256 mm
- 12th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 44:24: Bible are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 44:24: Bible. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.