Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 44:25 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 44:25
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- In this image, a lay woman, identified by her aristocratic costume, is shown praying the rosary before an image of the Virgin and Child. Although the identity of the woman is lost, one may assume that she played a role in the commissioning and use of this manuscript. This display of ownership or patronage was not uncommon. It was a way to document one's piety as well as a reminder to keep the individual in the reader's prayers.
- Initial D with a Woman kneeling before the Virgin and Child
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1500.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a choir book.
Extent132 x 108 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 44:25: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 44:25: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.