Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 45:1 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 45:1
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- This bifolium from a choir book contains portions of the Gospel Lesson for Epiphany, beginning on the recto of the first folio with Luke 3:21, 'Factum est aute[m] cum baptizaretur omnis populus ...' (Now it came to pass, when all the people were baptized). The text of the lesson breaks between the two folios shown here indicating that at least one other bifolium came between the two leaves of this bifolium.
- Initial D with a Deacon chanting from a book
- In medieval celebrations of the Mass, the Gospel Lesson was intoned, or chanted, by a deacon. In the initial D, a deacon points to a representation of the same book from which a real deacon would chant the text. Opposite the initial, in the right margin, are traces of instructions left for the illuminator, who would come back after the text and musical notation had been inscribed to fill in the spaces for the illumination. Although the note has been mostly trimmed away, it indicates that an image of a deacon reading should be placed in the initial.
- The text on this folio is from Luke 3:31-32.
- This leaf has been dated to ca. 1325. Notes to illuminator in right margin of fol. 1r, partially trimmed away: 'Hic ... e[ss]e u[...] diaco[num] le[gere] eua[n]g[elium].
Extent466 x 343 mm
- 14th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 45:1: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 45:1: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Lewis E M 45.1 opening
8069_0000.tif (126.9 MB)
8069_0000_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
8069_0000_web.jpg (301.0 KB)
Lewis E M 45.1 front
8069_0001.tif (161.0 MB)
8069_0001_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
8069_0001_web.jpg (324.3 KB)