Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 48:4 Africa
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 48:4
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial S with the Triumphant Scipio
- This leaf is from a manuscript copy of the famous Italian humanist Francesco Petrach's epic poem 'Africa.' The initial begins Book IX of the poem, which describes the triumph of the Roman general Scipio, the hero of the poem. 'Africa' tells the story of the Second Punic War in which the Carthaginian general Hannibal invaded Italy. After many battles, the Romans under the leadership of Scipio eventually defeated the Carthaginians.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with an historiated initial from Francesco Petrach's epic poem 'Africa.' This side of the leaf, the true verso, continues part of Book IX, which begins on the front.
Extent249 x 337 mm
- 15th century
- Literature -- Poetry
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 48:4: Africa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 48:4: Africa. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.