Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 69:18 Gradual
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 69:18
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial H with a King, possibly David
- This initial begins the Introit for the Vigil of the feast of the Nativity (Christmas Eve), 'Hodie scientis quia veniet dominus ...' (Today you shall know that the Lord will come). The inscription on the king's scroll reads: 'Conceptio tua dei genitrix virgo gaudium annuntiavit universo mundo' (Your Conception, Virgin Mother of God, has announced joy to the entire world).
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with an historiated initial from a gradual. This side of the leaf, the true verso, continues the Introit for the Vigil of the feast of the Nativity (Christmas Eve), which begins on the front.
- This cutting can be dated to before 1496.
Extent370 x 525 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 69:18: Gradual are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 69:18: Gradual. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.