Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 72:11A Gradual
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 72:11A
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial C with St. John the Baptist
- Lewis E M 72:11b contains the initials B.F.,' inscribed on the book held by Isaiah.
- The precise moment in the liturgy that this initial begins remains to be determined. The cutting and its sister cutting Lewis E M 72:11b, however, are known to have come from the choir books of the Olivetan monastery of Santi Angelo e Nicolò in Villanova Sillaro near Lodi. These two cuttings and one other in the Free Library's collections (Lewis E M 28:19) were illuminated by the so-called Master B. F., after the initials inscribed in another cutting by the same artist now in the Museo Diocesano in Lodi, Italy. Some scholars have argued that the initials stand for Francesco Binasco (also known as Francesco da Lonate), an illuminator who worked at the court of the Sforza, the ruling family of Milan in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from an antiphonary.
Extent154 x 161 mm
- 16th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 72:11A: Gradual are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 72:11A: Gradual. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.