Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 74:1 Gradual
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 74:1
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial R with the Christ Child descending like dew and arising from the earth
- This initial begins the Introit for the Saturday Mass of the Virgin Mary during Advent: 'Rorate celi de super ...' (Send down dew from above, O Heavens). The unusual iconography of this scene can be explained by the words of the Introit. Translated in full, the Introit, from Isaiah 45:8, is: 'Send down dew from above, O Heavens, and let the clouds rain down the just one; may the earth be opened and bring forth the Savior.' The illumination has been attributed to the workshop of the Master of the Graduale del Carmine, so-called after a choir book illuminated by his hand for the church of Santa Maria del Carmine. He was active in Siena from ca. 1340-1360.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with an historiated initial from a gradual. This side of the leaf, the true verso, continues the Introit for the Saturday Mass of the Virgin Mary during Advent, which begins on the front.
- Instructions to the illustrator regarding the rubrication and the layout of the staves have been erased in the right recto margin but are still partially visible.
Extent414 x 585 mm
- 14th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:1: Gradual are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:1: Gradual. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.