Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 74:12-13 Antiphonary
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 74:12-13
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- This initial begins the first antiphon for first Vespers for the Vigil of St. Francis of Assisi (Oct. 4), Franciscus uir catholicus ... (Francis, a catholic man).
- Initial F with St. Francis of Assisi
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with an historiated initial from an antiphonary. This side of the leaf, the true recto, contains a chant that has yet to be identified.
- Initial T with St. Peter the Apostle
- This initial begins the Magnificat antiphon for Vespers for the Vigil of the Common of Apostles, 'Tradent enim vos in conciliis ...' (For they will deliver you up to councils).
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with an historiated initial from an antiphonary. This side of the leaf, the true recto, contains an antiphon for Matins of the feast of St. Clement, 'Dedisti Domine habitaculum martyri Clementi in mari ...' (You have given a dwelling to your martyr Clement in the sea, O Lord).
- The style of illumination in this initial suggests that it was painted by a follower of Attavante degli Attavanti (b. 1452-1520/25). Attavante was one of Florence's most sought after and influential illuminators of the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries. Among his many patrons, were Federigo da Montefeltro, the Duke of Urbino (1477-8), and Matthias Corvinus, King of Hungary (1458-1490).
Extent377 x 538 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:12-13: Antiphonary are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:12-13: Antiphonary. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Lewis E M 74.12 front
8390_0000.tif (160.5 MB)
8390_0000_thumb.jpg (7.4 KB)
8390_0000_web.jpg (276.9 KB)
Lewis E M 74.12 reverse
8390_0001.tif (160.5 MB)
8390_0001_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
8390_0001_web.jpg (251.6 KB)
Lewis E M 74.13 front
8390_0002.tif (158.5 MB)
8390_0002_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
8390_0002_web.jpg (299.1 KB)