Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 74:14 Antiphonary
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 74:14
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial A with the Three Marys at the Tomb
- This initial begins the first response of the first nocturn of Matins for Easter Sunday, 'Angelus domini descendit de celo ...' (An Angel of the Lord came down from heaven). The decoration on this leaf was left unfinished with the underdrawing of the initial and border lacking the paint and gold leaf. Yet, its incomplete state allows us to see the steps of illumination midway through the process. After a leaf was ruled to determine the number of lines of text and decoration, the scribe wrote in the text leaving the areas of decoration blank. The leaf was then handed over to an illuminator who would draw in the outlines of the decoration with a stylus or a lead stick, similar to a pencil. The gold leaf would have been added next before the initial was painted in with various colors. For an unknown reason, our illuminator abandoned his work after completing the underdrawing.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with an unfinished historiated initial from an antiphonary.
Extent335 x 468 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:14: Antiphonary are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:14: Antiphonary. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.