Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 74:15 Gradual
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 74:15
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial D with Christ calling Sts. Peter and Andrew
- This initial begins the Introit for the Vigil of St. Andrew (Nov. 29), 'Dominus secus mare galilee vidit duos fratres Petri et Andream....' (The Lord, walking along the sea of Galilee, saw the two brothers Peter and Andrew). This initial has been attributed to the Florentine illuminator Bartolomeo d'Antonio Varnucci, who was active from ca. 1440 to his death in 1479.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with an historiated initial from a gradual. This side of the leaf, the true verso, continues the Introit for the feast of Sts. Peter and Andrew, which begins on the front.
Extent388 x 575 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:15: Gradual are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 74:15: Gradual. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.