Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis O 48 Ḥishmat-i Kashmīr. / حشمت کشمير
TitleḤishmat-i Kashmīr. / حشمت کشمير
- ʻAbd al-Qādir Khān Ibn Vāṣil ʻAlī Khān, active 1830 عبد القادر خان ابن واصل على خان،
- Free Library of Philadelphia. Rare Book Department. John Frederick Lewis Collection of Oriental Manuscripts
Other related names
- Brooke, William Augustus, 1754-1833, dedicatee
- Bentinck, William Henry Cavendish, Lord, 1774-1839, associated name
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
- Lewis, Anne Baker, 1868-1937, donor
Call numberLewis O 48
(Philadelphia, Free Library of Philadelphia, Rare Book Department)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
History of Kashmir and surrounding areas. Begins with a eulogy on Lord William Cavendish Bentick and is dedicated to William Augustus Brooke of the East India Company, whose title was Ḥishmat al-Dawlah. There is a preface by the author in which he relates how he met Brooke and where he was sent on missions. He also mentions that this book is largely based on an earlier history of Kashmir, "Gawhār-i tuḥfah-ʼi ʻĀlim Shāhī" by Muḥammad Badīʻ al-Dīn Abū al-Qāsim Aslam and on meetings with, and a book by Sayyid Ghulām-Ḥusayn Khān. The work is divided into four chapters: 1. Kashmir, 2. Tibet and Kalmakistan including an account of Mānī, the painter, and founder of Manicheism, 3. Badakhshan and 4. highlands of Afghanistan
- Ms. codex.
- Title from end of the author's preface (f. 11v)
Extent189 foliated leaves : 269 x 168 (175 x 85) mm bound to 271 x 172 mm
FoliationContemporary foliation in ink in Hindu-Arabic numerals, upper left recto; catchwords every verso, lower left.
BindingMottled leather over pulpboard with gold tooled frame; black leather doublure; blue painted edges.
Illuminated headpiece in gold and blue with text on cloudbands with gold fill with one section of 4 lines written on gold background (f. 1v-2r); final opening also written on cloudbands with gold fill (f. 188v-189r). Border-ruled in gold, red, blue with a page-opening frame rule in blue. Rubrications in red
- Formerly owned by John Frederick Lewis (bookplate inside back cover).
- Manuscripts, Persian--19th century
- Manuscripts, Oriental--19th century
- Manuscripts, Oriental
- Manuscripts, Persian
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Illuminations (painting)
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Stained calf (bindings)
- These images and the content of Rare Book Department Lewis O 48: Ḥishmat-i Kashmīr. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book Department Lewis O 48: Ḥishmat-i Kashmīr.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
9219_0001.tif (98.9 MB)
9219_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
9219_0001_web.jpg (376.3 KB)
9219_0379.tif (98.9 MB)
9219_0379_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
9219_0379_web.jpg (276.9 KB)
9219_0380.tif (98.9 MB)
9219_0380_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
9219_0380_web.jpg (249.6 KB)
9219_0381.tif (98.9 MB)
9219_0381_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
9219_0381_web.jpg (185.6 KB)
Decoration: Border-ruled; unwritten
Inside back cover
9219_0384.tif (98.9 MB)
9219_0384_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
9219_0384_web.jpg (425.3 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate: "John Frederick Lewis"
lewis_o_48_body0390.tif (27.1 MB)
lewis_o_48_body0390_thumb.jpg (1.5 KB)
lewis_o_48_body0390_web.jpg (70.1 KB)