Collection ID: 0028 | Metadata type: TEI
MS 485/8 Ordo ad recipiendum novicias in monasterio
TitleOrdo ad recipiendum novicias in monasterio
Other related names
- Paula da Milano, former owner
- Petrus Amadeus Ghixulphus, former owner
- San Lorenzo, Vicomercato, former owner
- Vollbehr, Otto H. F. (Otto Heinrich Friederich), 1869-, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/7758429)
- Rosenbach, A.S.W. (Abraham Simon Wolf), 1876-1952, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/56752944)
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberMS 485/8
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, The Rosenbach)
Milan or Padua, Italy
This short manuscript contains the Ordo for the entry of a female novitiate into a monastic order according to the rules of the Benedictine congregation of Santa Giustina in Padua. The central vow of obedience and stability, found on folios 8v-9r, is written in Italian and is specific to Sister Paula da Milano. As stated in this portion of the text, the vow was performed on August 27, 1548, in the presence of the abbess, Donna Benedetta da Milano. The manuscript includes musical notation.
- Ownership note on upper pastedown: Acipe soror mea vexillam sancte crucis signaculum victorie tue: ut hoc singulare signum quod in exemplum illius primi sacratisimi vexilli precioxo domini nostri Jesu Christi sanguine triunfalis erectum est: sit tibi remedium singu-lare: soliditas fidei perfectus bonorum operum: redentio anime: perfectio ac tu-tela contra seva iacula inimicorum: & tu tamen anime tue: qui cum patre et spiritu sancto vivis ad regnam deus per omnia secula seculorum. Amen.
- Ownership note on recto of front flyleaf: Sancti Laurentii Vicomercati
- Ownership note at bottom of fol. 28v: Iste liber est monasterii sancti laurentii in Vicomerchato capite plebis Donatus per redum dominum presbiterum Petrus Amadeus Ghixilphum Confessorem huius monasterii anno 1550
ExtentI+28+i; 196 x 141 mm bound to 198 x 143 mm
FoliationEarly foliation in ink, upper right recto
Collation1-3 (8), 4 (4)
SignaturesOriginal signatures, partially cropped, visible in lower-right rectos at: 2r, 3r, 4r, 9r, 10r, 11r, 12r
CatchwordsHorizontal three-letter catchwords at folios 8v and 24v
BindingOriginal italian stamped calf
Two-line initials in red ink throughout
- Given in 1550 to the monastery of San Lorenzo at Vicomercato by the confessor Petrus Amadeus Ghixulphus; Otto H. F. Vollbehr, his no. 1058; purchased in 1946 from his collection through the Bank of America
- 16th century
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of The Rosenbach, MS 485/8: Ordo ad recipiendum novicias in monasterio are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Rosenbach of the Free Library of Philadelphia has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about The Rosenbach MS 485/8: Ordo ad recipiendum novicias in monasterio. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
6166_0001.tif (64.9 MB)
6166_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
6166_0001_web.jpg (288.3 KB)