Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
CAJS Rar Ms 121 al-Qurʼān. / [القرآن]
Titleal-Qurʼān. / [القرآن]
Other related names
- Melek Ahmet Paşa, -1662, associated name
- Pīr Valī Muḥammad Pāshā, active 1661, associated name پير ولى محمد پاشا،
- Sulzberger, Mayer, 1843-1923, former owner
- Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning, former owner
Call numberCAJS Rar Ms 121
(420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106-3703, University of Pennsylvania, Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1550 and 1650?
Complete copy of the Qurʼān with a final prayer; border-rules have corroded the paper on some leaves.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Waqf note, partially scrubbed (f. 1r); stamp (f. 1r); stamp is repeated throughout, often effaced but occasionally visible (see f. 121r, 166r, 292r, 318r, 345r, 360r).
ExtentIi, 379, ii leaves : 316 x 220 (202 x 125) mm bound to 316 x 230 mm
FoliationModern foliation added in pencil, upper left recto; catchwords every verso, lower left.
BindingBound in brown leather over pasteboard with flap (Type II); gold stamped frame; bright orange doublure; red and yellow chevron endbands.
Polychrome and gold dual-page illumination (f. 1v-2r); numerous marginal medallions in gold and blue with polychrome flowers and blue foliate finials mark text divisions; sūrah headers in red ink framed by rectangles with foliate motifs on either end chiefly in blue and gold with small, polychrome flowers; gold roundels with orange, blue and green dots mark verse endings; textblock border-ruled in dark blue and gold.
- Gift of Mayer Sulzberger to the library of the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning (note on library bookplate, inside front cover).
- Had been given in waqf (pious endowment) by the the Grand Vizier (al-Vazīr al-Āʻzim), the conquerer of the Island of Crete (Fātiḥ Jazīrat Krīd), Aḥmad Pāshā, possibly Melek Ahmed Pasha (approximately 1604-1662); the name of the mosque to which the manuscript was given is scrubbed (f. 1r). Numerous waqf stamps with the name Pīr Valī Muḥammad Pāshā and the year 1072 A.H. (1661 or 1662 CE) also appear (f. 121r, 166r, 292r, 318r, 345r, 360r)
- Formerly owned by the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning (library bookplate inside front cover).
- Manuscripts, Arabic
- Manuscripts, 17th century
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Illuminations (painting)
- Envelope flaps (features)
- Annotations (Provenance)
- Stamps (Provenance)
- These images and the content of Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies CAJS Rar Ms 121: al-Qurʼān. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, University of Pennsylvania Libraries has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies CAJS Rar Ms 121: al-Qurʼān.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — [al-Qurʼān].
- Inside front cover — Library bookplate
- Inside front cover — Label
- fol. 1r — Waqf statement (partially effaced)
- fol. 1r — Stamp (mostly effaced)
- fol. 1v — Dual-page illuminated opening
- fol. 2r — Dual-page illuminated opening
- fol. 2v — Example of marginal medallion
- fol. 31v — Example of sūrah heading
- fol. 121r — Stamp (one of several of the same stamp)
Inside front cover
9851_0001.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
9851_0001_web.jpg (298.8 KB)
Decoration: Library bookplate
9851_0006.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0006_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
9851_0006_web.jpg (293.9 KB)
Decoration: Waqf statement (partially effaced)
Decoration: Stamp (mostly effaced)
9851_0007.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0007_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
9851_0007_web.jpg (533.9 KB)
Decoration: Dual-page illuminated opening
9851_0008.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0008_thumb.jpg (7.4 KB)
9851_0008_web.jpg (525.5 KB)
Decoration: Dual-page illuminated opening
9851_0009.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0009_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
9851_0009_web.jpg (353.4 KB)
Decoration: Example of marginal medallion
9851_0067.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0067_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
9851_0067_web.jpg (297.2 KB)
Decoration: Example of sūrah heading
9851_0246.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0246_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
9851_0246_web.jpg (294.1 KB)
Decoration: Stamp (one of several of the same stamp)
Inside back cover [flap open to show design
9851_0768.tif (219.6 MB)
9851_0768_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
9851_0768_web.jpg (360.8 KB)
Back cover [flap opened to show design
9851_0769.tif (229.1 MB)
9851_0769_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
9851_0769_web.jpg (538.3 KB)
Back cover [flap closed
9851_0770.tif (158.9 MB)
9851_0770_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
9851_0770_web.jpg (458.9 KB)
Fore edge [flap closed, inside front cover
9851_0772.tif (54.6 MB)
9851_0772_thumb.jpg (2.2 KB)
9851_0772_web.jpg (124.6 KB)
Fore edge [flap open
9851_0773.tif (54.6 MB)
9851_0773_thumb.jpg (2.4 KB)
9851_0773_web.jpg (158.5 KB)