Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
CAJS Rar Ms 137 Kitāb Rawḍ al-rayāḥīn fī ḥikāyāt al-ṣāliḥīn / كتاب روض الرياحين في حكايات الصالحين ،
TitleKitāb Rawḍ al-rayāḥīn fī ḥikāyāt al-ṣāliḥīn / كتاب روض الرياحين في حكايات الصالحين ،
- Yāfiʻī, ʻAbd Allāh ibn Asʻad, -1367 يافعي، عبد الله بن أسعد،
Other related names
- Ḥafiz al-Shirāzī, Maḥmūd ibn Rajab ibn ʻUmar, scribe حافظ الشرازي، محمود بن رجب بن عمر.
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
- Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning, former owner
Call numberCAJS Rar Ms 137
(420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106-3703, University of Pennsylvania, Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
A.H. 804 (1402)
An introduction in two chapters followed by five hundred stories of notable and important people and a conclusion in two chapters followed by another conclusion. The text is interspersed with poems and verses by the author and others.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from colophon.
- Ms. note in pencil regarding subject of volume and ms. shelf mark on recto of front flyleaf; ms. note ("Histoire et chefs d'oeuvres des grandes personnages arabes") on verso of front flyleaf; occasional ms. annotations throughout text.
- Without title leaf. Copy has occasional ink smudges throughout; f. 1 mended at inner margin; lower portion of f. 1 cut off and replaced with a blank leaf; f. 129 mended at tail, inner and outer margins; top portion of f. 129 torn of and replaced with a blank leaf with some loss of text; lower portion of f. 137 torn off and replaced with a blank leaf with some loss of text on recto (some of which has been subsequently supplied); various leaves mended at margins; a few leaves dampstained at head margin (f. 82-88); a few leaves detached and laid in (f. 94-95).
- Item cataloged from digital facsimile and existing description.
Extent137 leaves : 257 x 160 (195 x 105) mm bound to 261 x 187 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 137; 1-137; modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchwords, lower left verso.
BindingFull red leather with fore-edge flap and envelope flap (Type II), rebacked; envelope flap gilt-tooled; evidence of gilt-tooling on upper board; marbled endpapers.
- Gift of John Frederick Lewis (armorial bookplate with shelfmark, front pastedown) to the Library of the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning.
- Formerly owned by John Frederick Lewis (armorial bookplate, inside front cover).
- Formerly owned by the Library of the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning.
- Muslims--Biography--Early works to 1800
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Envelope flaps (features)
- Manuscripts, Arabic
- Manuscripts, 15th century
- These images and the content of Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies CAJS Rar Ms 137: Kitāb Rawḍ al-rayāḥīn fī ḥikāyāt al-ṣāliḥīn are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Front cover (fore-edge flap wrapped)
5149_0000.tif (98.5 MB)
5149_0000_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
5149_0000_web.jpg (356.2 KB)
Front cover (fore-edge flap tucked)
5149_0001.tif (98.5 MB)
5149_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
5149_0001_web.jpg (347.1 KB)
Inside front cover
5149_0003.tif (98.5 MB)
5149_0003_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
5149_0003_web.jpg (370.1 KB)
Inside back cover
5149_0280.tif (135.9 MB)
5149_0280_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
5149_0280_web.jpg (527.0 KB)