Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 107 Mexican Indian languages
TitleMexican Indian languages
- Fuertes, E. A. 1838-1903
Other related names
- Henry, Joseph, 1797-1878, recipient
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 107
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9940733833503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageEnglish, Spanish, Zapotec, Zoque, and Mixe
C. Hermann Berendt's copy of vocabularies in Zapotec, Zoque, and Mixe (pp. 6-27) and ethnographic notes (pp. 29-53) gathered by E. A. Fuertes for the Smithsonian Institution during a U. S. Navy expedition to the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. Includes Berendt's corrections of and annotations to Fuertes's work and a lithograph of Dr. C. H. Berendt's analytical alphabet for Mexican and Central American languages (American Ethnological Society, 1868) pasted inside the lower cover. Loose notes (9 items, 10 leaves), originally pasted inside the covers and now shelved with the manuscript, include drafts of material in the manuscript and a letter to Joseph Henry, secretary of the Smithsonian, criticizing the contents.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. 3).
Extent40 leaves : 165 x 103 mm. bound to 170 x 115 mm. +
FoliationPaper, 80; [1-5], 6-53 (54-80 blank); page numbers in ink, upper right recto.
BindingLate 19th-century boards.
- Copied from the manuscript submitted by E. A. Fuertes to the Smithsonian.
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton (ex libris stamp on title page).
- Zapotec language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Zoque language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Mixe language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Zapotec Indians
- Zoque Indians
- Mixe Indians
- Indians of Mexico--Languages
- Hybrid books
- Field notes
- Manuscripts, American--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 700 Item 107: Mexican Indian languages are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7091_0001.tif (23.2 MB)
7091_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
7091_0001_web.jpg (218.9 KB)