Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 148 Baile del Güegüence ó Macho-Raton
TitleBaile del Güegüence ó Macho-Raton
Other related names
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 148
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9940057093503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageNahuatl-Spanish dialect, with title page, personas, and a few notes in Spanish
C. Hermann Berendt's 19th-century copy of the text of a musical drama in a Nahuatl-Spanish dialect named after one of its characters, with the satirical meaning, "the honored elder." The drama dates from the late 18th century or earlier. Other characters include a governor, a royal scribe, and local officials. Daniel Garrison Brinton's annotations in red ink (linguistic corrections to Berendt's text) and pencil (page number correspondences to publication) are later additions.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
WatermarkPIRIE's Old Style.
Extent36 leaves : 267 x 208 (181 x 129) mm. bound to 273 x 218 mm
FoliationPaper, 36; [xviii, 1-3], 4-53; pagination by the writer in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingLate 19th-century half leather with marbled boards.
- Compiled from two manuscripts of the drama (Brinton, Güegüence, p. xli).
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton.
- Nahuatl-Spanish dialect--Texts
- Mangue language--Texts
- Indians of Central America--Nicaragua--Drama
- Indians of Central America--Nicaragua--Languages--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Nahuatl--19th century
- Manuscripts, Spanish--19th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 148: Baile del Güegüence ó Macho-Raton are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7149_0001.tif (45.3 MB)
7149_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
7149_0001_web.jpg (203.2 KB)