Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 162 Vocabulary of the Huatuso Indians
TitleVocabulary of the Huatuso Indians
- Bransford, J. F. 1846-1911
Other related names
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 162
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9949657253503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageEnglish and Guatuso
Vocabulary list of 42 words in Guatuso (Huatuso) with English equivalent, originally collected and recorded by J. F. Bransford on 10 April 1876 at Castillo, Nicaragua. The present manuscript is in the form of a copy made by Dr. Earl Flint, who had contact with Bransford around that time; the manuscript was preserved and provided with a title page by C. Hermann Berendt. Flint is variously said to have resided in Rivas or in Granada, both in Nicaragua; Berendt corresponded with him in Granada (see Ms. Coll. 700, Item 161). Bransford states that the Guatuso words were obtained from a boy from Rio Frio (in Costa Rica), who was about 13 years old and had been a captive for two years. Branford indicates that he transcribed the words as closely as possible according to their sound, using the Spanish sounds of the letters.
- Ms. component part.
- Title from component title page (f. 2r).
- Item 162, in contemporary paper covers, is the 14th of 15 manuscripts (Items 162-165, 167-171, 172-175, 218, and 219) bound together in a volume with the spine title: Languages of Chiriqui and Darien.
Extent2 leaves : 204 x 122 mm. bound to 215 x150 mm
FoliationPaper, 2; the manuscript proper comprises a single leaf of lined paper tipped onto f. 2r.
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton (ex libris stamp on verso of front free endpaper of bound volume).
- Guatuso language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Indians of Central America--Costa Rica--Languages
- Manuscripts, English--19th century
- Manuscripts, Latin American
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 162: Vocabulary of the Huatuso Indians are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7171_0001.tif (52.6 MB)
7171_0001_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
7171_0001_web.jpg (117.0 KB)