Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 54 Arte de lengua cakchiquel
TitleArte de lengua cakchiquel
- Torresano, Estevan
Other related names
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 54
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9937757943503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageSpanish and Cakchiquel, with some Quiché and Tzutuhil
- between 1850 and 1875?
A 19th-century copy of Torresano's 1754 grammar for the Cakchiquel language based on Flores' Arte de la lengua metropolitana del reyno cakchiquel of 1753 (note on p. 2). It includes a section on counting in Cakchiquel (pp. 109-126); "Parallelo de las lenguas Kiche, Cakchiquel y [Tz]utuhil," a comparison of some of the grammar points of the three languages and a vocabulary list in four columns comparing common words in the three languages with translations in Spanish (pp. 127-148); "Ortographia para la buena pronunciacion de estas tres languas," a discussion of the letters which these languages have in common with Spanish and those letters omitted, as well as the Parra letters used to represent the six sounds unique to these three languages (pp. 149-155); and a number of petitions and prayers in Spanish alongside Cakchiquel translations (p. 159-179).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. 1).
Extent90 leaves : 165 x 103 mm. bound to 170 x 115 mm
FoliationPaper, 180; page numbers stamped in blue ink, upper outer corners.
- Copied from a copy made by or for E. G. Squier (1821-1888) from the 1754 original in the Bibliothèque Nationale (note on p. 2).
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton (ex libris stamp on title page, p. 1).
- Cakchikel language--Grammar
- Cakchikel language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Quiché language--Grammar
- Quiché language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Tzutuhil language--Grammar
- Tzutuhil language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Mayan languages--Grammar--Early works to 1800
- Mayan languages--Writing--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Spanish--19th century
- Manuscripts, Digital
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 54: Arte de lengua cakchiquel are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7278_0001.tif (13.0 MB)
7278_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
7278_0001_web.jpg (228.9 KB)