Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 87 Extracts from Arte y vocabulario en lengua mame
TitleExtracts from Arte y vocabulario en lengua mame
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878
- Reinoso, Diego de, 17th cent
- Smith, Buckingham, 1810-1871
- Pimentel, Francisco, conde de Heras, 1832-1893
Other related names
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 87
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9925822773503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageEnglish, with words in Mam and the title of Reinoso's work in Spanish
Transcription of a note by Buckingham Smith published in Historical Magazine 5.4 (April 1861), including bibliographical information about and slightly fewer than 150 words from the Arte y vocabulario en lengua mame of Diego de Reinoso, a 17th-century Guatemalan friar who is not the 16th-century Diego de Reinoso associated with the Popol Vuh. The words are arranged alphabetically according to their English equivalents. The vocabulary is followed by a list of cardinal numbers and a list of prepositions that Berendt attributes to the 19th-century Mexican linguist and historian Francisco Pimentel. Berendt includes some comments of his own on Smith's grammatical observations and notes the locations of copies of Reinoso's work, including the information that one copy had just been sold in Paris in January 1868 (p. 9).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent5 leaves : 195 x 123 mm. bound to 200 x 132 mm
FoliationPaper, 5 (followed by 22 blank leaves); pagination in ink, 2-9, upper center.
BindingLate 19th-century half leather with gilt spine title and sprinkled edges.
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton.
- Mam language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Indians of Central America--Guatemala--Languages--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--19th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 87: Extracts from Arte y vocabulario en lengua mame are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7299_0001.tif (33.2 MB)
7299_0001_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
7299_0001_web.jpg (412.0 KB)