Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 268 Almagest
- Ptolemy, 2nd cent Ptolemy, 2nd cent
Other related names
- Isrāʼīlī, Qursunna, former owner
- Lutfullāh, Aḥmad ibn Mubārak, former owner
- Kinānī, Muḥammad ʻAbd al-Kathīr, former owner
Call numberLJS 268
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5058303
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in Spain in 1381 (f. 154r, 157v, 185r) for Qursunna al-Isrāʼīlī, astronomer to Pedro IV of Aragon (colophon, f. 185r).
- A.H. 783 (1381)
An extensive treatise on Aristotelian astronomy, considering the motion of the stars and planets in a spherical, geocentric universe.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Many edges and corners of leaves mended with paper.
WatermarkSimilar to Piccard, Axe, no. 788 (Florence, 1379).
Extent177 leaves : 280 x 215 (220 x 145) mm. bound to 280 x 225 mm
FoliationPaper, 175; [1-37, 50-101, 124-145, 145-152, 101-124, 154-185]; modern foliation in pencil, correcting previous foliation in pencil, lower center recto.
BindingMorocco, blind-stamped with a medallion and blind- and gilt-tooled, with a flap.
- Formerly owned by Imam Aḥmad ibn Mubārak Lutfullāh, Muḥammad al-Raʼīs and Imam Muḥammad ʻAbd al-Kathīr al-Kinānī (note by Misjo Rinijo, f. 1v).
- Formerly owned by Misjo Rinijo (Monsieur Rinillot?), a French ambassador (note dated 1922, f. 1v).
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, June 1998.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Tables (documents)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
Inside front cover
0282_0001.tif (76.1 MB)
0282_0001_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
0282_0001_web.jpg (205.5 KB)
Inside back cover
0282_0354.tif (114.3 MB)
0282_0354_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
0282_0354_web.jpg (223.5 KB)