Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 278 Kitāb-i ḥashāʼish
- Dioscorides Pedanius, of Anazarbos
Call numberLJS 278
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4918323
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- A.H. 1004 (1595)
Illustrated herbal with detailed descriptions in multiple languages (but all written in the Persian nastaʻlīq script) of the physical appearance and the medicinal effect of many plants, as well as some trees, minerals, and substances derived from animals. The manuscript is not complete: it comprises text and illustrations from parts of Chapter 1, substantial parts of Chapters 2-4, and parts of Chapter 5. Many leaves have extensive repairs at the edges or corners. The manuscript seems never to have been bound.
Extent172 leaves : 400 x 260 mm
FoliationPaper, 172 leaves; [i, 1-35, 37, i, 38-116, i-ii, 117-217, i, 218-234, 237-240, 243-244, 247-266, 269-276, 280-303, 308-327, 330-335, 335-336, 336-338, 340, 340-355]; modern foliation in pencil, usually in the lower margin.
LayoutWritten in up to 15 long lines (text block varies to accommodate illustrations); ruled in drypoint.
ScriptWritten in nastaʻlīq script.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, November 1998.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Materia medica--Early works to 1800
- Botany, Medical--Early works to 1800
- Botany--Pictorial works--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Greek and Roman
- Watercolors (paintings)
- Manuscripts, Persian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance