Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 278 Kitāb-i ḥashāʼish
- Dioscorides Pedanius, of Anazarbos
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 278
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9949183233503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- A.H. 1004 (1595)
Illustrated herbal with detailed descriptions in multiple languages (but all written in the Persian nastaʻlīq script) of the physical appearance and the medicinal effect of many plants, as well as some trees, minerals, and substances derived from animals. The manuscript is not complete: it comprises text and illustrations from parts of Chapter 1, substantial parts of Chapters 2-4, and parts of Chapter 5. Many leaves have extensive repairs at the edges or corners. The manuscript seems never to have been bound.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent172 leaves : 400 x 260 mm
FoliationPaper, 172 leaves; [i, 1-35, 37, i, 38-116, i-ii, 117-217, i, 218-234, 237-240, 243-244, 247-266, 269-276, 280-303, 308-327, 330-335, 335-336, 336-338, 340, 340-355]; modern foliation in pencil, usually in the lower margin.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, November 1998.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Materia medica--Early works to 1800
- Botany, Medical--Early works to 1800
- Botany--Pictorial works--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Greek and Roman
- Watercolors (paintings)
- Manuscripts, Persian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize LJS 278: Kitāb-i ḥashāʼish are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.