Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 36 Manuscript leaf from an account of the Jewish Wars
TitleManuscript leaf from an account of the Jewish Wars
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 36
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9949888993503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Leaf from a large manuscript written in a Romanesque script in Italy in the 12th century. Ruled in lead for 2 columns of at least 50 lines, the leaf is damaged at both the top and the left edges, with roughly half of the inner column missing. Water and worms have both damaged the leaf. 1 2-line initial in red on verso. The leaf was later used as a binding fragment. It contains text describing the conquest of Ptolemais by Alexander, son of Antiochus II, an event also described in the Book of Maccabees.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 397 x 265 mm. (with a small part of the leaf, 4 lines high, 314 mm. wide)
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 22 June 1993, lot 7, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2010.
- Jews--History--586 B.C.-70 A.D
- Manuscripts, Latin--12th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 12th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 36: Manuscript leaf from an account of the Jewish Wars are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.