Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 36 Manuscript leaf from an account of the Jewish Wars
TitleManuscript leaf from an account of the Jewish Wars
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J (former owner)
Call numberLJS 36
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4988899
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Leaf from a large manuscript written in a Romanesque script in Italy in the 12th century. Ruled in lead for 2 columns of at least 50 lines, the leaf is damaged at both the top and the left edges, with roughly half of the inner column missing. Water and worms have both damaged the leaf. 1 2-line initial in red on verso. The leaf was later used as a binding fragment. It contains text describing the conquest of Ptolemais by Alexander, son of Antiochus II, an event also described in the Book of Maccabees.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 397 x 265 mm. (with a small part of the leaf, 4 lines high, 314 mm. wide)
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 22 June 1993, lot 7, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2010.
- Jews--History--586 B.C.-70 A.D
- Manuscripts, Latin--12th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval