Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 38 Prayers and commentary
TitlePrayers and commentary
Other related names
- Ilyās ibn Khamzah ʻAlī Niyat ʻAlī ibn Khamzah (scribe)
- Schiller, Johann Michael, 17th cent (former owner)
- Ess, Leander van, 1772-1847 (former owner)
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 (former owner)
Call numberLJS 38
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5816416
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageArabic, with commentary in Ottoman Turkish
- A.H. 889 (1484)
Collection of prayers in Arabic, each preceded by a commentary in Ottoman Turkish, with a diagram (f. 217v) and information at the end for calculating the direction of Mecca from different latitudes. Sections of copious marginal notes at the end of the manuscript (f. 185r-186r, 192r-201v, 208r-209v, 216v-220r). Later notes and pen trials in naskh script on front flyleaf.
Extent221 leaves : 140 x 100 (83 x 62) mm. bound to 140 x 112 mm
CollationPaper, i + 221; 1⁶ 2¹² 3⁸ 4¹² 5⁸ 6¹² 7⁸ 8¹²(-2) 9⁸ 10⁷ 11-12⁶ 13-15¹⁰ 16⁸ 17-19¹⁰ 20¹² 21⁸ 22² 23⁸ 24² 25⁸ 26¹⁰; 1-108, [i], 109-220, later European foliation in ink, upper left recto. Catchwords on each leaf, lower left verso.
BindingMorocco with flap on back cover, with gilt stamped medallions on covers and flap; labels on spine; description of manuscript in German on note pasted to inside upper cover.
LayoutWritten in 11 long lines, text block framed in ink.
Black or red woodcut fillet border on each page; headings and significant words or phrases in red or green ink; some leaves stained yellow or red.
ScriptWritten in naskh script by Ilyās ibn Khamzah ʻAlī Niyat ʻAlī ibn Khamzah (colophon, f. 220r).
- Formerly owned by Johann Michael Schiller, 1655 (inscription inside lower cover; another 17th-century inscription on the inside lower cover is not legible).
- Formerly owned by Leander van Ess; sold as part of his collection in 1823 to Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 757 (spine label, stamp and number in ink on f. 1 recto).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 26 Nov. 1968, lot 245, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Islam--Prayers and devotions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic--15th century
- Manuscripts, Turkish--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Foldout note, Side 2
0327_0001.tif (25.3 MB)
0327_0001_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
0327_0001_web.jpg (355.4 KB)
Inside front cover
0327_0003.tif (17.8 MB)
0327_0003_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0327_0003_web.jpg (399.5 KB)
Foldout note, Side 1
0327_0004.tif (22.4 MB)
0327_0004_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
0327_0004_web.jpg (455.9 KB)
ljs38_test_ref_1.tif (111.8 MB)
ljs38_test_ref_1_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
ljs38_test_ref_1_web.jpg (136.9 KB)