Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 403 Alchemical compendium
- Ḥusaynī, Ibrāhīm
Other related names
- Mūsawī, Abdul Razak, former owner
Call numberLJS 403
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5081494
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- A.H. 901-904 (1496-1499)
Working notes of an alchemist, who signs himself as the compiler and composer of the manuscript (f. 127v). Lacking at least one leaf at the beginning, if not more (early pagination begins at 2, f. 1r), with repairs on extant first and last leaves. Includes a commentary on an unknown text and references to the concept of balance found in the work of 8th-century alchemist Jābir ibn Ḥayyān and to Pythagoras. Many marginal notes.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent173 leaves : 153 x 98 (115-130 x 65-80) mm. bound to 158 x 115 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 173; [1-173], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto; earlier pagination in ink, 2-347 (f. 1v-173v). References in this record are to modern foliation.
BindingRebound in the morocco binding with flap of another book, no boards.
- Formerly owned by Abdul Razak al-Mūsawī (stamp, f. 6v).
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Feb. 2001.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0281_0001.tif (30.8 MB)
0281_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
0281_0001_web.jpg (291.0 KB)