Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 417 Books III-V of al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb
TitleBooks III-V of al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb
- Avicenna, 980-1037
Other related names
- Farīj al-Karāb Yūsuf ibn Ḥusayn ibn Fayyāḍ al-ʻArab, scribe
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 417
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958645723503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- A.H. 899-904 (1494-1498)
Books III (al-Amrāḍ al-juzʼīyah, diseases arranged by part of the body), IV (al-Amrāḍ al latī la takhaṣ bi-ʻuḍwīn bi-ʻaynih, diseases not specific to particular organs), and V (al-Adwiyah al-murakkabah, compound drugs, ointments, and electuaries) of Avicenna's medical encyclopedia. Extensive marginal notes on the first pages of the manuscript (f. 1v-3r), with frequent brief marginal notes in the rest of the manuscript. A somewhat later table of contents, arranged in a grid, has been added at the front of the volume (f. iii recto-xvii recto).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent626 leaves : 316 x 173 (220 x 172) mm. bound to 316 x 187 mm
FoliationPaper, xviii (later) + 598; [i-xviii, i], 1-540, [i], 541-596, foliation added in ink, perhaps at the same time as the table of contents, upper left recto; [i-xviii, 1-598], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. References in this record are to modern foliation.
BindingComposite morocco, with blind-stamped medallions; paper label with title Kitāb al-Qānūn in ink on upper cover.
2 illuminated headpieces, the first rubbed (f. 1v, 542v), and space left open for another headpiece (f. 357v); overlining, a few significant words and phrases, and simple ornamentation around colophons (f. 356r, 489r, 541r) in red ink in first section of manuscript (f. 1v-541r); much less overlining and more words and phrases in red in second section of manuscript (f. 542v-598v); some marginal notes in red, sometimes corresponding to overlined words or words in red in the main text; text block outlined with several narrow ink lines on the first 2 pages (f. 1v-2r); later table of contents in black and red (f. iii recto-xvii recto).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 3 May 2001, lot 32, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Arab
- Medicine, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Arabic--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 417: Books III-V of al-Qānūn fī al-ṭibb are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0096_0001.tif (53.0 MB)
0096_0001_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
0096_0001_web.jpg (267.9 KB)
0096_0039.tif (53.0 MB)
0096_0039_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0096_0039_web.jpg (377.0 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece, f. 1v
0096_1121.tif (53.0 MB)
0096_1121_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0096_1121_web.jpg (371.0 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece, f. 542v