Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 59 Dogale issued by Doge Leonardo Loredan to Paolo Nani, podestà and capitaneus of Treviso
TitleDogale issued by Doge Leonardo Loredan to Paolo Nani, podestà and capitaneus of Treviso
- Venice (Republic : To 1797) Venice (Republic : To 1797)
Other related names
- Nani, Paolo, 1496-1551, recipient
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 59
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4952127
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin and Italian
Commission from Leonardo Loredan, doge of Venice, addressed to Paolo Nani, concerning Nani's duties, rights, and obligations while holding the positions of podestà (civil administrator) and capitaneus (military commander) of Treviso, a mainland community north of Venice under Venetian control.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent34 leaves : 240 x 164 (162 x 109) mm. bound to 246 x 172 mm
CollationParchment, i + 34 + i; 1-3¹⁰ 4⁴; [1-34], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Catchwords on the lower right verso of the last leaf of each gathering.
BindingContemporary 16th-century morocco over pasteboards, blind- and gold-tooled (Fogg).
Full title page illumination showing Saint Paul presenting the kneeling Paolo Nani to the enthroned Virgin and Child, surrounded by a border of white and gold grisaille on blue, incorporating the Venetian winged lion of San Marco at the top and arms at the bottom (f. 1r); square capitals in left margin at beginning of paragraphs, alternating between red and green; rubrics mostly in red, occasionally in green; some paragraph marks in green, fewer in red.
- Ownership inscriptions: Monogram Io/TS/Pe (inside upper cover); signature with unclear last name, Victor Glm or Ulnicus (inside lower cover).
- Formerly held in a private collection in Würzburg, Germany.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Feb. 1997 (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Treviso (Italy).--Podestà
- Illumination of books and manuscripts--Specimens
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0227_0001.tif (43.4 MB)
0227_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
0227_0001_web.jpg (256.4 KB)
0227_0004.tif (43.4 MB)
0227_0004_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
0227_0004_web.jpg (338.1 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Saint Paul presenting Paolo Nani to Virgin and Child, f. 1r
Decoration: Illuminated border, Winged lion of St. Mark and coat of arms, f. 1r