Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 59 Dogale issued by Doge Leonardo Loredan to Paolo Nani, podestà and capitaneus of Treviso
TitleDogale issued by Doge Leonardo Loredan to Paolo Nani, podestà and capitaneus of Treviso
- Venice (Republic : To 1797)
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Other related names
- Nani, Paolo, 1496-1551, recipient
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
- Bordon, Benedetto, 1450-1530, illuminator
Call numberLJS 59
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9949521273503681
- https://openn.library.upenn.edu/Data/0001/html/ljs59.html http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017.12/366278 http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/d/medren/4952127 http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017.12/1333425 https://colenda.library.upenn.edu/catalog/81431-p3vp92
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageLatin and Italian
Commission from Leonardo Loredan, doge of Venice, addressed to Paolo Nani, concerning Nani's duties, rights, and obligations while holding the positions of podestà (civil administrator) and capitaneus (military commander) of Treviso, a mainland community north of Venice under Venetian control.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent34 leaves : 240 x 164 (162 x 109) mm bound to 246 x 172 mm
CollationParchment, i + 34 + i; 1-3¹⁰ 4⁴; [1-34], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Catchwords on the lower right verso of the last leaf of each gathering.
BindingContemporary 16th-century morocco over pasteboards, blind- and gold-tooled (Fogg).
Full title page illumination showing Saint Paul presenting the kneeling Paolo Nani to the enthroned Virgin and Child, surrounded by a border of white and gold grisaille on blue, incorporating the Venetian winged lion of San Marco at the top and arms at the bottom, attributed to Benedetto Bordon (f. 1r); square capitals in left margin at beginning of paragraphs, alternating between red and green; rubrics mostly in red, occasionally in green; some paragraph marks in green, fewer in red.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Feb. 1997 (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Ownership inscriptions: Monogram Io/TS/Pe (inside upper cover); signature with unclear last name, Victor Glm or Ulnicus (inside lower cover).
- Formerly held in a private collection in Würzburg, Germany.
- Treviso (Italy)--Podestà
- Illumination of books and manuscripts--Specimens
- Treviso (Italy)--Politics and government--Sources
- Venice (Italy)--Politics and government--1508-1797--Sources
- codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 59: Dogale issued by Doge Leonardo Loredan to Paolo Nani, podestà and capitaneus of Treviso are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0227_0001.tif (43.4 MB)
0227_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
0227_0001_web.jpg (256.4 KB)
0227_0004.tif (43.4 MB)
0227_0004_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
0227_0004_web.jpg (338.1 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Saint Paul presenting Paolo Nani to Virgin and Child, f. 1r
Decoration: Illuminated border, Winged lion of St. Mark and coat of arms, f. 1r