Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
CAJS Rar Ms 137 Kitāb Rawḍ al-rayāḥīn fī ḥikāyāt al-ṣāliḥīn
TitleKitāb Rawḍ al-rayāḥīn fī ḥikāyāt al-ṣāliḥīn
- Yāfiʻī, ʻAbd Allāh ibn Asʻad, d. 1367 Yāfiʻī, ʻAbd Allāh ibn Asʻad, d. 1367
Other related names
- Ḥafiz al-Shirāzī, Maḥmūd ibn Rajab ibn ʻUmar, scribe
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
Call numberCAJS Rar Ms 137
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies)
- bibid: 4423550
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
A.H. 804 (1402)
An introduction in two chapters followed by five hundred stories of notable and important people and a conclusion in two chapters followed by another conclusion. The text is interspersed with poems and verses by the author and others.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from colophon.
- Ms. note in pencil regarding subject of volume and ms. shelf mark on recto of front flyleaf; ms. note ("Histoire et chefs d'oeuvres des grandes personnages arabes") on verso of front flyleaf; occasional ms. annotations throughout text.
- Without title leaf. Copy has occasional ink smudges throughout; f. 1 mended at inner margin; lower portion of f. 1 cut off and replaced with a blank leaf; f. 129 mended at tail, inner and outer margins; top portion of f. 129 torn of and replaced with a blank leaf with some loss of text; lower portion of f. 137 torn off and replaced with a blank leaf with some loss of text on recto (some of which has been subsequently supplied); various leaves mended at margins; a few leaves dampstained at head margin (f. 82-88); a few leaves detached and laid in (f. 94-95).
- Item cataloged from digital facsimile and existing description.
Extent137 leaves : 257 x 160 (195 x 105) mm bound to 261 x 187 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 137; 1-137; modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchwords, lower left verso.
BindingFull red leather with fore-edge flap and envelope flap, rebacked; envelope flap gilt-tooled; evidence of gilt-tooling on upper board; marbled endpapers. Type 2 binding.
- Gift of John Frederick Lewis (armorial bookplate with shelfmark, front pastedown) to the Library of the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning.
- Muslims--Biography--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- These images and the content of Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, CAJS Rar Ms 137: Kitāb Rawḍ al-rayāḥīn fī ḥikāyāt al-ṣāliḥīn are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Front cover (fore-edge flap wrapped)
5149_0000.tif (98.5 MB)
5149_0000_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
5149_0000_web.jpg (356.2 KB)
Front cover (fore-edge flap tucked)
5149_0001.tif (98.5 MB)
5149_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
5149_0001_web.jpg (347.1 KB)
Inside front cover
5149_0003.tif (98.5 MB)
5149_0003_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
5149_0003_web.jpg (370.1 KB)
Inside back cover
5149_0280.tif (135.9 MB)
5149_0280_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
5149_0280_web.jpg (527.0 KB)