Collection ID: 0032 | Metadata type: TEI
MS Or 32 Treatise on composing letters
TitleTreatise on composing letters
Other related names
- Smith, David Eugene, 1860-1944, former owner
Call numberMS Or 32
(New York, Columbia University, Rare Book and Manuscript Library)
LanguageOttoman with translations from Arabic; inserts in Persian laid in
- between 1775 and 1825?
On writing (inshāʼ). It begins with an Arabic-Ottoman glossary of terms used in writing official and unofficial letters (f. 1v-3r), followed by a tutorial on writing letters. The following types of letter are included: from inferiors to superiors (f. 10v-14r), letters home (f. 14v-17r), from a child to his grandfather (f. 17v-19v), from a father to a son (f. 20r-22r), from a son to his mother (f. 22v-24v), from a mother to her child (f. 25r-26v), petition addressing the Sultan (f. 27r-28r), an emancipation certificate (f. 28v-30v), and newspaper writing (f. 31r-34v); a short lesson on basic arithmetic follows (f. 34v-35r). Two inserts laid in: a telegraph receipt, and a sheet in nastaʻliq shikastah about accounting in Persian.
- Manuscript codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Some inconsistent paginations in Arabic.
Extent35 foliated leaves : 257 x 185 (155 x 91) mm, bound to 257 x 185 mm
BindingPaper wrapper, sewn as pamphlet.
- Gift of David Eugene Smith, 1931-1934.
- Education--Turkey--History--Ottoman Empire, 1288-1918
- Letter writing, Turkish
- Manuscripts, Turkish
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Insertions (Provenance)
- These images and the content of Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 32: Treatise on composing letters are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Columbia University, Rare Book & Manuscript Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 32: Treatise on composing letters. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — [Treatise on composing letters]
Inside front cover
6852_0001.tif (88.2 MB)
6852_0001_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
6852_0001_web.jpg (264.1 KB)
6852_0006.tif (91.2 MB)
6852_0006_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
6852_0006_web.jpg (283.2 KB)
Section: [Treatise on composing letters]