Collection ID: 0032 | Metadata type: TEI
MS Or 96 Qurʼān selections and prayers.
TitleQurʼān selections and prayers.
Other related names
- Smith, David Eugene, 1860-1944, former owner
Call numberMS Or 96
(New York, NY. 10027, Columbia University., Rare Book and Manuscript Library)
- between 1700 and 1850?
Excerpts from the Qurʼān and short prayers; likely a practice copy as script spacing, word divisions, and verse ending decorations are not regular.
- Manuscript codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent1 + 4 leaves +141 foliated leaves + 1 : 205 x 155 (150 x 110) mm, bound to 205 x 165 mm
FoliationModern western foliation added in pencil, upper left recto; catchwords on versos, lower left.
BindingIslamic binding. Full red leather binding with tooling and paper onlays. Fore-edge and envelope flap. Yellow paper endleaves, green paper envelope flap lining. Endbands with chevron-pattern secondary sewing.
Illumination includes a sequence of border frames, mostly unwritten, and incomplete, in red, black, blue, and green (f. 1v-4r), two in-text foliate banners in pale yellow (f. 20r, f. 118r), and a full-page finispiece (f. 139r), lobed roudels in red, yellow, and green often mark verse ends, but sometimes merely decorate the verses (see for example, f. 39r), or appear mid-verse (f. 67r, 69r, for example). Infill of red or yellow dots in some bismallāh headers (f. 79r, 81r, 90r, 128v).
- Gift of David Eugene Smith, 1931-1934.
- Name of previous owner (ṣāḥibah) has been pasted over (f. 1r).
- Manuscripts, Arabic
- Islamic bindings (Binding)
- Full covers
- Blind tooled (decoration)
- Onlays (decoration)
- Envelope flaps (features)
- Compound endbands
- Secondary sewing (endband techniques)
- These images and the content of Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 96: Qurʼān selections and prayers. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Columbia University, Rare Book & Manuscript Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS Or 96: Qurʼān selections and prayers.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 2r — [Qurʼān selections and prayers].
Inside front cover
6890_0001.tif (59.8 MB)
6890_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
6890_0001_web.jpg (283.7 KB)
6890_0011.tif (61.0 MB)
6890_0011_thumb.jpg (7.7 KB)
6890_0011_web.jpg (391.6 KB)
Decoration: Decorative frame
6890_0012.tif (62.6 MB)
6890_0012_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
6890_0012_web.jpg (362.9 KB)
Decoration: Decorative frame with bismallāh
6890_0013.tif (60.9 MB)
6890_0013_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
6890_0013_web.jpg (328.6 KB)
Section: [Qurʼān selections and prayers].
6890_0287.tif (55.6 MB)
6890_0287_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
6890_0287_web.jpg (307.9 KB)