Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 45 Judeo-Arabic translation of Exodus 38:21-24; Exodus 39:3-10
TitleJudeo-Arabic translation of Exodus 38:21-24; Exodus 39:3-10
Call numberHalper 45
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
12th century-13th century?
- Hebrew lead word signified before and after by sof pasuḳ; Missing from lower edge is XXXVIII 25- XXXIX 2; From a Judeo-Arabic translation of Genesis XXIV 58-XXV 17, neither that of Sa'adia Gaon nor that of Japheth ben 'Ali. A Hebrew lead-word is provided at the beginning of each verse; There are a few errant readings, which may stem from ignorant or flexible translation, such as אבי סימאך (=אחיסמך) (XXV 23); compared to the common translations, this one includes a greater degree of hermeneutic embellishments; at XXXVIII 24 is an article on the measure of a ככר; The Oxford fragment ends with a colophon identifying the name of the work as פתרון ואלה שמות, and stating the intention to start פתרון ספר ויקרא.
- Condition: fragment; cropped along all edges; verso stained and faded; probably lacking another column.
Extent26 X 9.5 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 45: Judeo-Arabic translation of Exodus 38:21-24; Exodus 39:3-10 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.