Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 108 Gaonic gloss on Ḥagigah 21b-22a
TitleGaonic gloss on Ḥagigah 21b-22a
Call numberHalper 108
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-12th century?
- Part of a Gaonic responsum, probably that of Ḥai or Sherirah Gaon. A complete version appears in: Teshuvot geʾonim ḳadmonim / Joseph ben Samuel Bonfils. Berlin : Friedlander, 1848, no. 72; Levin, Otsar ha-gaonim / Benjamin Manasseh Lewin. Haifa : [s.n], 1928-1943, vol. IV, responsa Section, pp. 37-45: no. 32); The complete version is a lengthy discourse on a difficult passage in Ḥagigah (21b-22a) which requires much supplementary detail. The discourse starts with the standard heading for Gaonic responsa: וששאלתם, yet the text is clearly a gloss in the Gaonic style, flowing with the Talmudic text, adding dialectic clarifications and conjunctive phrases; A gloss on the tractate of Ḥagigah attributed to Ḥai Gaon is mentioned in a few latter sources, but all are on mystical and philosophical topics dealt with in chapter 1; See, Levin, op. cit. vol. IV, 1932, commentary section, item nos. 51-55, 57-58, 61, 67, 71, 73. The gloss on Ḥagigiah 23a ll. 6-7 is identical with that of R. Ḥananel, with a few lexical alterations. The rest is different.
- Condition: lacking upper half.
Extent16.4 X 7 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Gaonic literature
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 108: Gaonic gloss on Ḥagigah 21b-22a are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.